Aug 14, 2010

March 12, 1945

My Dear,
       The only thing mentionable other than a fine, enjoyable letter is that I hit the beach for awhile.  I was with a civilian near my age, in first year college but is going into the Navy soon. A swell kid-with a wreck of his own to run around in just as we used to.  He’s a bit on the innocent and delicate side if you catch me.  Or else that it’s just that I’ve seen a lot since I’ve “been in” and he just seems naïve.  Just as you said awhile ago that “you’ve learned an awful lot since you turned 18.”
        Yep, there’s an awful lot of things you can’t explain or write about.  At this rate it won’t be long before I can quote the old line-“I’ve seen everything now.”  But the Navy will change this kid.  He won’t be as innocent or delicate after awhile.  In some ways it’s good and some bad.  It uses where you find one, the other is lurking close at hand.


We saw “Since You Went Away”-3 times for me but I liked it.  You remember it with Claudette Colbert and Shirley Temple, Bob Walker, etc…
     Say but that winter carnival did sound good.  I could just see you and the gang mauling around in the snow.  Say it was well that you could talk to your folks the other night.  That would most surely make you happier.  I guess you know I’m a hoping I can get through to you tomorrow.  Maybe I’ve changed since I went away but I hope you don’t judge me by my conversation on the phone.  I won’t say much more-or I’ll tell you-I won’t secure this now.  I’ll wait and see if I stir anything up to talk about for another half a page.  For now-
       Say Hon, you remember a bit ago when you wrote me the words of the song, “My Task” I believe-not sure.  Anyway, I heard a very pretty duet sang on it the other night in church and liked it much.
     I’ll add just a bit more by saying I just got back from the auditorium.  You’ve heard of that radio program where they give away money and candy bars called “Dr. I.Q.”  It was quite a program for a change.  I’ll wish you pleasant dreams if they were only true. Also some love,
Paul





        






My Task Lyrics Tennessee Ernie Ford                         
To love someone more dearly ev'ry day
To help a wand'ring child to find his way
To ponder o'er a noble tho't and pray
And smile when evening falls
And smile when evening falls
This is my task
To follow truth as blind me long for light
To do my best from dawn of day till night
To keep my heart fit for His holy sight
And answer when He calls
And answer when He calls
This is my task
And then my Savior by and by to meet
When faith hath made her task on earth complete
And lay my homage at the Master's feet
Within the jasper walls
Within the jasper walls
This crowns my task



No comments: