Apr 24, 2011

March 19, 1945 Monday

Dear Harriet,
                You’re probably wondering if I got fouled up or something.  Nope, I’m still on the turf but I’ve been on the beach quite a bit lately so I wasn’t where I could get the word to you.  Friday night the Bankers of St. Louis gave a big shin dig over at the DeSoto Hotel so I went over at that and while I was there, some Joe gave me a piece of paper that I could go down and get anything I wanted to eat.  It was in a big swanky chow hall on the Bottom Deck of the hotel and boy what chow.  I had some things with a French name on it.  What it really amounted to was an omelet of about four eggs with shrimp sauce all over and a couple of dishes of vegetables and a few other dishes of this and that. I’m stuffed.
                When the affair was secured, I ran across a fellow electrician-an instructor out here and he was so drunk he couldn’t even stand up without capsizing.  He is about as old as my father and sure was disgusting, although a bit comical.  I figured he’d get fouled up some way if I didn’t take care of him and get a captains mast or something so I helped him navigate back to the Base and didn’t get in until night onto 0200.

                Saturday I rated the weekend as Susan Russel, whom you’ve heard about, and I sailed over to the “arena” and went skating.  I had more fun than for a long time and only got scuttled once.  Sunday a Mormon soldier from Logan and I hiked around together.  We shot some pool and ping pong at the U.S.O. after church and then saw “The Keys of the Kingdom” and “A Soldier Came to Dinner.”  Both very good.  It seems to me you saw the first. It was a religious picture of the hardships of a Christian missionary in China-very inspirational.
                When I came back to the Base, I had a 3 page letter that sure made me feel good.  It was well worded and I enjoyed it more than usual.  I guess I read it for an hour.  The call I made Station to Station and only took near a half an hour to get through.  I really haven’t much time.  I’ve got to get some sleep-a 12-4 watch tonight so if this is a bit disconnected, don’t mind too much.
                That certainly was a good deal for Donna’s boyfriend to ship back to the States and it made me so glad to hear in a later letter that Howard is back.  I know what that will mean for he and Zelma alike.  Now he can get acquainted with his young-un.  Say, you’ve sure had clear sailing lately.  The Gold and Green Ball and getting the Radio and then that lengthy vacation serves you right for being my good girl.  Can you imagine us weathering it out together.
                I’m sure sorry I got fouled up on the birthday hon.  I guess though it’s a man’s well exercised right-to forget dates.  I’ve started already.  I just as well tell you that what I’m making for your birth commemoration will not get there on time.  I haven’t even got it finished, let alone mailed.  I hope you’ll understand.  It’s taken quite a little time to shape things up and I’m sorry it won’t make the 27th.  Yah you a better man than me my unhappy even was the 2nd of the 6th month.  2 from 6 leaves 4-the day we’ll always remember as our merging.  Thanks for giving me the word on the home love angle.  I heard a rendition of “My Task” Skip, quite a song.  That was funny, us seeing that show “I’ll Be Seeing You” almost the same time.  Well sweet dreams, my thoughts Darling.
Paul

No comments: