Jul 2, 2010

February 28, 1945 Wednesday

My Harriet,
                I may not get far but I’ll try starting.  It’s getting near taps. Me and some of the staff men played a bit of basketball tonight.  I really most thoroughly enjoyed the airmail letter today.  You must have felt generous.  It made my blood boil in a way though.  What I mean is that the reason I never phoned over
Sunday is because I never got the word that it was ok.  Now I find out it would have been.  I stood around Sunday and wondered and figured etc etc for a long time, finally I said well I’ll call anyway so I even had my Dungaree jacket on and started for the door but one of the boys said I wouldn’t call if I were you.  It cost too much to take a chance on so I figured well maybe he’s right-haste makes waste.  But I will call this Sunday unless something goes wrong.  I’m going ashore to church if possible but I’ll try to be back to call.  I figure on making it through the telephone exchange on the Base here.  I sure am sorry though my dear to make you sit around in a suspense that never profited.  You said around 7:00 p.m. your time or earlier.  I’m sorry, but it will probably be later if anything. I still have two chocolates left as you know I’m quite conservative with candy.
                Oh yes I’m a thinking those be pretty fair grades you’re getting.  That was a fine sounding shin dig you had over there.  If you were with a sailor though it was you not he who was jilted.  I don’t understand though, love why you ever think of this moth eaten swab jockey at times like that.  Seriously Harriet, it’s one of my pet dreads that of you getting a misconception of me.  This is something I’ve found quite true-when a person leaves another that means something to them, that person builds them up more than they really are.  I’m afraid you may be forgetting my bad traits and weak parts and making of me a person that fits your own ideals and wishes.  I hope not, but I saw it happen with a girl named Anna and a boy who went away as a missionary.  But as you say-when I get on that phone I might seem pretty stupid but after all, we’ll deal in principles and say it’s not the words but the feeling and thoughts.
                I got a letter from Lila-a very fine one. I think she has a wonderful attitude and I only hope her child will be ok.  She’s had too much grief now and as you know may even have more in store.  But we know God will be with her.  Well stay on the boat young-un.  Luck, love and more,
Pablo

No comments: