Apr 29, 2012

April 12, 1945 Thursday

Dear Harriet,
                Yesterday I got another of those Blue letters, but blue only in color.  Very cheerful otherwise.  It seemed that there was a lot more writing on that sheet than usual and I enjoy every word.  You said you weren’t lecturing me and I know you weren’t, but all the same, I had to smile.  First because I don’t deserve the worry if I may call it that.  But I do appreciate your thoughts for my welfare. Second, because I know that you’re quite sure I can handle things for the best and don’t really get in trouble.  I can’t get out of the same if not bettered.  I’m quite sure I’ll fare well on your cooking.  Never fear, it won’t b too long before I’ll be trying it as you mentioned-one of these years. 
Now for a few words on another subject.  You said you weren’t lecturing about me giving the Division Officer the word.  But I’m saying, this is going to be a short lecture-and not just to be different, because you need it, unless you’re teasing me. 
Susan Russell may be quite a girl but confound it, don’t get the idea that I’d never be satisfied with “a small Home town girl.”  In the first place, I’ve been around some and have never seen a girl you couldn’t give the stiffest competition and I don’t say that to make you feel good.  Like my mums said, “It’s better to be a big shot in a little town than a little shot in a big town.”  Take it for what it’s worth and don’t be too quick to forget it. My mother said the same thing-me not being satisfied with things back home.
About Navy College, it’s a blank-the Division Officer you know.  Say, I haven’t heard anything about M. Bowes-DeMille and Kaltenborn and the FBI.  Can you verify or give me anything else on that noise.  We’re lucky to have election lights out here-let along the news, though we do hear headlines like the Russian Jap noise.
                You’re certainly underway with activities-music and social and school.  You deserve it and more and it’ll be forthcoming.  All the luck I can muster or help I can ever offer.  Write soon and ask questions about anything. I’ll see you after while.  Day dreaming and nothing else.  All my love.
Pablo
p.s. Those cards have seen a bit of territory. They have been on my person almost all the time I’ve been gone.  I guess you know what those punch holes mean? Memories?
(Harriet Johns-invitation to all Weber county Ward, Stake, and Inter-Stake Budget Parties for the 1943-1944 Social Season; Weber High Student Body Card 1943-1944 for Paul and Harriet)

No comments: