Apr 4, 2012

March 30, 1945 Friday

Dear Skippy,
                Hardly anything to say but that I think of you lost.  Last night on that 2000-2400 guard, I thought of you an awful lot. I’ve wondered often what the situation will be like when we meet again.  Where will we be? How will we find each other? Change a bit-but for the better or worse?
                Yesterday I tangled with my Division Officer.  It gave me self satisfaction but at my own expense because officers hold the upper hand even when they’re in the wrong which everyone agreed that he was.  I wanted to go to Navy College.  It’s been on my mind for quite a while. The reason why I never mentioned it is because I was sure of myself.  It was in my grasp and I had all the red tape squared away except one unimportant paper which the old man had to sign.  I steered clear of him as long as possible.  He’s a Navy Warrant Officer what has been in 20 some years-all of it spent on the beach and he’s authority conscious.  It’s been said many times that men here would remember him and if he ever shipped to sea, he’d be overboard pronto.  I’m serious Hon.  It’s been known to happen many times and will many more times.  People that are found to disappear just disappear over the side of the ship and no questions asked.  The guys aren’t really killers but you have to live as closely and constantly with your mates as in the Navy.  Even ashore, people like that make it too miserable.  He had no reason particular except that he tried to get a J.G. rating and they wouldn’t give it to him so he’s taking it out on us.  They wouldn’t give it to him because he has no sea duty.  He called me on the carpet 3 times in one day which would be usually equal to suicide, crucifixion, and a few others.  The 2 times I got used to his sorry line and I guess the third my Dutch came up so I “give him the word” in no uncertain terms. The lads patted me on the back for it but I expect the consequences will be my name on the next draft for Smart Field, en exile 40 miles out of the town-300 men, stiff discipline.  Some of the boys I shipped from Jax with are already there.  All I can do is wait.
                We’ve been working hard on the planes lately.  I’m tired again tonight and I’ve lost 10 pounds.  Don’t mention it to mom though.  I’ll get it back after while.  I’ll write again and tell you about the weekend I’ll’ spend starting tomorrow night.  For now, Love ‘n kisses ‘n stuff.
Paul                           
p.s. On the front of the station paper-truer words were never spoken

No comments: