May 25, 2012

April 16, 1945 Monday

Darling,
                I don’t mind too much returning to my duties after spending a weekend like last.  It makes it a lot easier for a lad to be away from his woman and family-left behind you know.  Eases your mind and raises your hopes.  I received two most enjoyable letters-both Saturday.  It might sound funny but I knew I couldn’t answer until tonight so I saved one until today to open and read.  If you please, I’ll relate the weekend and take up the letters after.
                Saturday, I went up town (St. Louis is quite a ride) to a dance party the Mutual had.  Not a large crowd you know, just a few in the Branch, but oh I did enjoy playing those games and dancing the Virginia Reels.  I guess Mr. and Mrs. Russell knew the Base was far away and I didn’t have a place to go so they asked me to sack in at their home.  Seems I never worry about where I’ll sleep.  I can always find a phone booth somewhere.  I snoozed most enjoyably and Brother Russell and I had a bit of chow in the morn.  Good all home cooked oatmeal he made.  Say what kind a mush do you cook? Can you cook “Germ made?” (That’s what we call it home-don’t know its real name.  Kind of a cracked wheat cereal you cook).
                Naturally I enjoyed and was thankful I could attend Sunday School and Priesthood.  Then I was grateful I was able to eat some delicious chow at Brother and Sister Russel’s after.  You were telling me about the couple you went home with you so you can imagine what those people mean to one, especially so far from home and quite alone when it comes to good people to associate with. 
                Then, during the afternoon I did the fist piece of “lectric” transferring I’ve done since I left home. That is with home appliances-Sister Russel’s waffle iron had developed a few major faults so I dismantled and rewired it.  Sure enjoyed it.  I wasn’t fun-past that-it was enjoyable. Reminded me of how I used to putter with such things at home.
         At night instead of going to church, Sister Russel, Sue and I went to the Kiel Auditorium to see on of the things I reckon I’ll long remember-my first Grand Opera.  This auditorium was one of the largest and most elaborate I’ve ever seen and the stage-oi yoi yoi a thing I dreamed of when I was stage manager.  Naturally I was probably most interested in the stage settings (magnificent), clarinet cadenza, violins, and French horns (perfect).  See, the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra played the job and maybe you know better than me that it ranks among the top of the country’s symphonies.  I know you’d have been in the height of your glory if you could have seen it, and believe it or not, the girl-main female who the thing was pretty well built around-looked so very much like you.  Even when I looked through the Opera glasses and it didn’t seem at all fantastic for you to be up there yodeling like her.  Probably you’re more familiar with it than me but anyways it was the grand opera “Rigoletto.”

                Saw you at the Junior Prom Friday. You never paid any attention to me though and I pestered you all night.  This year, what I wouldn’t give to have your check by mine and listen to those records you spoke of.  Seems to me that “always” is almost sacred now.  Don’t ever hear it so much you grow tired of it, Hon.  Thank you an awful lot for the pictures.  They were a surprise to me and please know that I mean they are a couple of the best pictures I have of you.  That splicing pose you kids struck was really cute.  I got a big kick out of that and the lads here ribbed me about it.
                You know full well I don’t mind you being with the lad. Mostly because I know what a different it makes to have one of the opposite sex to associate with.  My thought is how the dang is this humble swab jockey going to compete with a polished college chap? Some pictures of the Army I spoke of.  Some are returned missionaries and every one oft hem have shipped out now. I guess it’s got to be though.  They’re swell lads-some of the best I’ve met or ever hope to meet.  Oh the crowded female picture-we didn’t know her.  Just saw her and a girlfriend taking pictures and decided she needed a little military background.  Naturally the Navy had to supervise this most enjoyable detail.  Don’t think the boys are wolfs.  They are far from that.  It’s just some of our mass foolishness. 
                Please send the snaps of Sue back.  Will comment more on your pictures.  Thanks morn’ I ‘n say.  Till then. “Always.
Paul

No comments: