May 30, 2012

May 28, 1944 Came Decatur Co-44-332


 Dear Harriet,
            I hope you got my card from L.A. I wrote it over at the U.S.O. we ate in L.A. and took the 12:10 streamliner to San Diego. It’s about a 3 hr ride. If I ever get a few hours liberty I’ll go over to L.A. to see my aunt and Grandma at Hollywood. It’s sure funny how they marched us from one place to the other but we’re used to it now. When we got to Diego they crammed us in a bus and hauled us to the Base and dumped us out at the reception center. It was too late to do much so they bedded us down topside. We hit the deck at 4:50 then went to chow after we showered. After that we got a physical from stern to stern and 3 inoculations and a vaccination to boot-half the crew can’t raise their arm above their shoulder. Then they detached a generous portion of our wig what a laugh. Especially some of the boys with pretty black curly hair. After that they gave us a sea bag and sent us through a line where they threw clothes in mattress covers about 6 ft long. When we got through dragging it, it was filled about 4 ft up-with $137 worth of gear. (Navy for clothes, shoes, utensils, etc). We went from there to have it stenciled. They put our name and Co. on everything from shoes to hat-including belts and socks. We went from there to check to see if we had everything and then sent our “civvys” home. Then we boarded a truck that shipped us over to Camp Decatur along with our clothes and sea bag. We got out at our barrack and found our bunk-mine’s on the lower deck top bunk. We dumped them (clothes) out and straightened them up neatly in our sea bags and made our bunk ship shape-mattress cover with open end to the bulk head-pillow at one end and blankets folded correctly at the other end “ditty bag.” (that’s the one with shoe shining gear, comb, soap, and such stuff in) secured just so with towel folded just so for inspection and sea bag battened to the top end of our bunk. Then we put our boots on (that’s what they call legens in the Navy). Then we fell in for a bit of drill right and left face right and left column and half a million others. We marched to mess and ate our first chow at Camp Decatur. Each Company eats at a certain place at a certain time-our company has 177 men in it and there’s easy a dozen and a half company’s in Camp Decatur alone. If you see a Utah man good if you see an Ogden Boy very good. Dec Garner and Jr Taylor bunk topside in our Company and Walter Garner and I below.

            Last night we made our bunks, washed up and lights out at 8:30 p.m. That’s 1630 Navy time. You see here from noon on instead of 1:00 p.m. it’s 13:00-2:00 p.m. 1400 and so on to midnight it’s 24 hundred and thirty for half past midnight. This morning we hit the deck at 5:30-Sunday other days 5:00 or before. We “swabbed the deck” and straightened the barracks ship shape and I marched to chow.
I’ve been getting a lineup on Jim and the boys ever since I been here. A couple of days ago I found out they were at Camp Decatur and last night after chow I found they were in Co. 326 so we moseyed over there and sure enough there was Jim, Judkins shupe –Vic and all the other boys. Boy it sure was swell to see them. This morning each boy goes to church according to his denomination: Catholic, Protestant, etc. at certain time. I’ve sure been busy since we got there. I’ll write-correction scribble off a few lines whenever I get a chance because I don’t think things will slow down any. We’ve got to get a 12 t0 14 week boat course done in 5 or 6 weeks.
            Well now maybe I can tell you a little about Navy talk, dress, and chow. The grub’s good but not quite enough of it. I’ve seen very little milk (1/2 glass since I been here). (I had 1 cup of lemonade) the rest of the time it’s coffee-water for me. You get your chow cafeteria style-a ladle of this and a ladle of that. As soon as you hit the curb coming to chow you fold your cap up and put in back of your neck by your collar. When you’re through eating you separate your knife, fork, and spoon and put them in separate boxes. You put your cup and bowl in one pan and wash your plate in a large tin one with dents in for different foods. Courses to you now about dress-we’ll probably be in dungarees most of quarantine that means about 3 weeks. That we’re restricted to our barracks expect when instructed otherwise. Then we have 3 suits of whites. Dress and undress 2 suits of undress blues and 1 dress blue which I expect we’ll see very little of. I couldn’t begin to tell you about all our sox, underwear, turtleneck sweaters and combs, toothbrush, etc. You’ll find a little about navy lingo in all my letters. In the Navy they got a name for everything and you have to get hep quick or you don’t know what they’re talking about.

            You don’t go upstairs o downstairs. You go topside or below on the ladder, not stairs. You swab the deck not mop the floor and the walls are bulkheads. Everybody’s “mate” or “mac” for short unless they’re your friend. The front end is the bow the back the sten. Last night I asked an old Navy man where I could get a rope to “baten” (tie) my sea bag to my bunk-he didn’t know what I was talking about. They call them lines in the Navy.
Well I’ll tell you more about the Navy after while. I’ve got to get on the line to go to church. Before I forget when you send my mail (which better be often) send it to:
Paul Hyer A.S.
Co. 44-331 U.S.N.T.C
San Diego 33 California
That is until I tell you different. After quarantine we’ll be shipped somewhere else. Some of these guys are the slowest, dumbest, most uncomprehending guys I ever had the displeasure of meeting. Some are sissies, some are mama’s boys, that I don’t expect did a day’s work in their life. But boy we’re changing, especially when some of them have to swab out the “crews head” (Lavatory to you). The kid who bunks aft of me is from Morgan and he knows Elaine-name’s Dick Thackery. He’s a swell kid-but what I was going to say was-he rolled over on his sore arm, the one with all the shots in and did he come to attention. He woke up so fast he sat straight up in bed. It was sure miserable sleeping. You had sore spots in every position.
            Well write soon or I’ll go craze (probably). As ever, your sweetheart.
Paul

p.s. If something seems to be screwy with this please overlook it. The way they run us around I been working on it about 10 different times.

No comments: