May 4, 2010

January 1, 1945 Monday

Dearest,
Today I received a most lovely letter telling about your Christmas.  I know you did enjoy yourself-received much joy and the best part is that you deserve every minute of pleasure you ever receive and more after that.
                I hope all this coming week to hear how you enjoy your vacation home.  It makes me feel lots better and more able to keep on the boat here when I know you are happy and content this New Years so here’s to us and I’m a hoping another one won’t pass before we’re together.
                Saturday as usual brought exams-too many.  The whole class was irritable and tired cause we had security watch Friday night.  I guess I got three hours of sleep all night so we had a couple of strikes on us before tests started.
                Saturday night I sure didn’t feel like liberty but Hansen and I had planned on traveling to *St. Augustine so we set out. We caught a ride with a nice new Buick so that helped cause it is quite a ways. We got there near 12 o’clock so we didn’t feel like traipsing around and just got a sack died-almost.  It was an elegant room overlooking the Bay and there was a beautiful moon glittering on the waves.  I didn’t tell Herb but I was a thinking that I’d give years off of my life if it was you with me in place of him.
                Sunday morning I didn’t hit the deck till near noon (making up for security watches and long classes in school). Hansen wasn’t awake yet so I just strolled the waterfront.  It was a fine day-you know-the kind when the sun almost hurts your eyes.  There were some sailors preparing their tub to shove off, so I chewed the rag with them awhile and then watched them raise the draw bridge and weigh anchor.  When I got back to the room, Hansen was ready for chow.  It was rather funny.  The waitress gave us a dinner menu and we were having trouble finding something till we got it straightened even if it was 1:00.  I wanted a waffle and some bacon and milk. It sure hit the spot.  Then we found a place where we could get some film.  I was able to get one for you after some controversy but we could get a couple for Herbs camera. I mailed yours today and hope the pictures we took will turn out.
                We rented a bicycle all day and had a most enjoyable time extremely interesting visiting the places you see in the pictures. I can’t begin to tell you of all these places-I’ll just let it go at the point that it is the oldest town in America and is chuck full of relics, monuments, etc. etc… The Fort was most interesting with the most Dungeon, etc.  Then the alligator Farm and Fountain of Youth and Indian Burial ground.
                We rode the bus back to Jax and on the way to the base we got off at Riverside. The Presbyterian Church was holding a special candlelight-midnight service so I started the New Year right.  In church-in prayer for my loved ones.  Last year the “New Year” found you and I in a kiss.  I’ll never forget.  This year it was quite different.  The candlelight was the only light and there was a deep silence even the organ music was of a silent nature.  It filled my heart with thanks to our God and a petition for my sweetheart and family at home that they may be blessed, guided, and many other things that I won’t write of.
                The reason I was out so late was because I was granted special liberty-6 minutes into ’45 I was away from my prayers and thoughts and on my way back to the base.  Today started a new unit in school-the last and most interesting maybe-I’ll tell you of it later.
                I hope you do like the present; not as much as I thought.  I’m afraid I have already made a lot of use of those things and will probably wear them out too soon at this rate. I think St. Nick did stow quite a bit of lovely things at your home and I know you will enjoy them too.
                I’m having a terrible time with my time problem and correspondence but be patient.  Write-and please give your family my regards.  I’ll sure have to written them soon but, if I only had a couple more hours a day (no use wishing that thought cause it’s probably be spent in school).  About now I’ll leave you in words but not in thoughts.  Mizpa Darling, Pablo.

No comments: