May 12, 2010

January 12, 1945 Friday

My Darling Skipper,
                The thing I have on my mind most tonight is you-the reason is your letter of today. It’s the kind of letter you can’t answer but just be thankful for the things you said and say-thank you.
                I’ll bet you and the kids have quite the time there at your new home and I’d like to surprise you some night or else just silently watch the “goings on.”  So, you’re stepping into short suits now. I’ll bet that’d wake me up and make me take notice. Hon, it’s no wonder to think deeply sometimes almost like you could feel my thoughts too.  Anyway, science says it’s possible and sometimes I’ve dropped so deep into those thoughts that they might have been with you.
                Now Skip, there’s something I’ll try to handle.  I was going to let it be, but mother in her last letter said a few things that made me think I just as well have things straight.  She said I was seeing these girls too much.  It would interfere with studies, etc… Well you can’t get things too straight in letters and you can’t argue in them either. The point is we’re restricted all week and that makes it impossible for females to interfere.  It may not interest you but on the other hand you may want to know that relations between me and the girls are a bit strained now.  Mostly because they thought after mutual I should take them to the show at the auditorium or something such as that.  Well the story was always the same with me-I had an awful lot of studies back at the barracks and letter writing etc… Well they figured I was making excuses.  Sometimes I was. But the good point of it is that I can afford to.  In other words, I’d have things as I wanted them.  If they wanted them that way ok, if not that was ok too.  The result is that for three weeks now we have only spoken to each other when necessary.  You know how that “cuts me to the quick.”  They take great delight in making sarcastic remarks but when I just smile with intense lack of interest they don’t like that so well which is to my liking.
                I think that’s the best way for me to have things cause in the first place I get more enjoyment out of thinking of you instead of being with them. In the second place, graduation is here almost with plenty of work mixed in.
                One thing I’m glad of is that I can have a clear conscience (or however you spell it) cause I haven’t so much as put my arm around her.  Naturally you have wondered about the situation here.  But as you say, you have no way of knowing just how things are.  All you have is my word that nothing-or no feelings exist between me or anyone here that would jeopardize the relation between you and I.
                I leave you with those thoughts darling, cause it’s almost time to get back to the plane.  Jessup made a not as you noticed while I was lost in my thoughts.
A few eternities of love.  
Pablo

No comments: