May 9, 2010

January 10, 1945 Tuesday

Dear Harriet,
                It’s a field day tonight but I’ll try to get off a note.  We finally got up to the week we’ve been waiting.  Two weeks of school left, providing I can make the grade.  Everybody has the same hopes,-well founded too cause they set guys back in the class ahead of us.  This Saturday comes the great test we’ve been dreading-the one to cover all our school work. Near 100 questions that will probably make the hair raise on our neck.  As I was saying though, this is what we’ve been waiting for.  We’re working out on the “line.” I got assigned to the Generator Circuit on a Flying Boat-the PBY Catalina.  I really enjoy it, especially when you’re working on a craft that has a history.  This particular one put in over 700 combat hours in the South Pacific and has been on 25 bombing missions.  The name is kind of original too- “Amoozin But Confoozin” meaning of course “amusing but confusing.”
                Say that is quite a schedule you have.  It looks good to me and I hope I hope it’s good duty for you.  Those ought to be interesting subjects. I and the boys got a smile out of that tap dancing-I don’t let anyone read the letters but that’s getting around some.  First, Besting and Bass in Band and then tap dancing? What next? If it’s music lessons-here’s to you.  You’ll fare ok hon.
                Oh yes-why do you want to cut your hair this summer? What do you think you’ll be doing next summer? Maybe going back to Grants. the other person. I knew a girl back home who had more than I deserve-ever but just the same, all I would desire in a female.  Now she’s in a different life which will inevitably better her if that was possible. Naturally it is impossible for the good to come without some bad.  All the same I am as sure as anything I was ever sure of in my life that her basic qualities and traits will not change. So—I’m thinking this girl means so much to me that I’m willing to do all in my power to adapt myself to her.  I’ll go a long ways farther than half way to make being together nothing less than Utopia.  One catch is that the outlook on my coming home is pretty dismal.
                I know that after graduation I won’t get a leave cause it’s just impossible.  They give you your orders and they read where you have to report to the next Base and just enough time to get there.  Well last night (Wed) we had a good mutual meeting and I’ll close now. All my love.

No comments: